Frequently Asked Questions
Why aren’t you doing rentals this year?
We are facing supply chain and staffing issues this summer, so as much as we would love to, we cannot offer our full program this year. Our goal is to move towards a bigger and better season in 2023!
The Hook is a protected lagoon that makes it perfect for learning, no matter your age! When you are ready to take it to the next level, the friendly sandbar outside of the Hook brings you better winds and wider reaches.
- Beginner Private Windsurf & Wing Lessons: The Big Winds Lesson Center at The Hook.
- Kids Camp & Advanced Kids Camp: The Big Winds Lesson Center at the Hook.
- Intermediate/Advanced Private Wing Foil & Windsurf Lessons: One of our close-by River Launches! You will chat with your instructor to find the best location between The Hook, Hood River Waterfront Park & Viento State Park.
- Kids Camp/Advanced Kids Camp: Show up 15 minutes early to get into gear. Morning Sessions run from 10AM – 1PM and Afternoon Sessions run from 2PM – 5PM.
- Windsurf and Wing Private Lessons: Make sure you’re ready to hit the water at the lesson start time! Leave room for rigging and getting into your wetsuit if necessary.
What do I Bring? What’s Provided?
- Bring: Swimsuit, Sunscreen, Water Bottle & Towel
- Provided: Wetsuits, Booties, PFDs, helmets, and *gear for lessons and camps.
*Gear is not provided for Intermediate/Advanced Private Windsurfing and Wing Foil Lessons.
What if there’s no wind?
- Private Lessons: We will work with you to reschedule your lesson, or offer a full refund or store credit.
- Kids Camp: Camp marches on as scheduled for one no wind day with paddling and balancing games. If we have a second no wind day, we will contact you in the morning to cancel that day’s camp and reschedule for the Friday of the same week.
- Advanced Kids Camp: We will reschedule that day of camp to the Friday of the same week.
What if I need to cancel?
- Private Lessons: If you cancel at least 48 hours in advance, you will be offered a full refund. Cancellations within the 48 hour window will receive a 50% refund. No Shows will not receive a refund.
- Kids Camp & Advanced Kids Camp: If you cancel at least 1 week before the first day of camp, you will be offered a full refund. Cancellations within a week of the first day of camp will receive a 50% refund. No Shows will not receive a refund.
Do I Need to Sign a Waiver?
Yes! Every participant will be required to sign a waiver. Waivers will be provided on location at the Hook.
Children under 18 years old: A parent or legal guardian must be present to sign the waiver on behalf of their child. If a parent or legal guardian will not be present (child coming with another family, etc.), they will need to print and sign the waiver to send with their child. They will not be allowed to participate without a signed waiver.
Big Winds Waiver: https://bigwinds.com/big-winds-waiver/
Why Didn’t I Receive a Booking Confirmation E-mail?
E-mails are automatically sent out from our booking software when a booking is made. Sometimes these e-mails get sent to the promotions folder instead of your main inbox, so please check there!