Frequently Asked Questions
The Hook is a protected lagoon that makes it perfect for learning, no matter your age! When you are ready to take it to the next level, the friendly sandbar outside of the Hook brings you better winds and wider reaches.
- Windsurf & Wing Lessons: The Big Winds Windsurfing Center at The Hook.
- Kids Camp: The Big Winds Kids Camp Center at The Hook.
- Advanced Kids Camp: The Big Winds Windsurfing Center at The Hook.
- Advanced Private Windsurf Lessons: One of our close-by River Launches! You will chat with your instructor to find the best location between The Hook, Hood River Waterfront Park, Viento State Park, and Mayer State Park (Rowena)
Big Winds Lesson Center
- Kids Camp/Advanced Kids Camp: Show up 15 minutes early to get into gear. Morning Sessions run from 10AM – 1PM and Afternoon Sessions run from 2PM – 5PM.
- Windsurf and Wingsurf Lessons: Show up 30 minutes early to get into gear and meet your instructor. Lessons run at 11AM & 2PM Monday – Thursday. Lessons run at 10AM, 12:30PM & 3PM on Friday – Sunday and Holiday Mondays (May 31st, July 5th & September 6th).
What do I Bring? What’s Provided?
- Bring: Swimsuit, Sunscreen, Water Bottle & Towel
- Provided: Wetsuits, Booties, PFDs, helmets, and *gear for lessons.
*Gear is not provided for Advanced Private Windsurfing Lessons.
What if there’s no wind?
- Lessons: We will work with you to reschedule your lesson, or offer a full refund or store credit.
- Kids Camp: Camp marches on as scheduled for one no wind day with paddling and balancing games. If we have a second no wind day, we will contact you in the morning to cancel that day’s camp and reschedule for the Friday of the same week.
- Advanced Kids Camp: We will reschedule that day of camp to the Friday of the same week.
What if I need to cancel?
- Lessons: If you cancel at least 48 hours in advance, you will be offered a full refund.
- Kids Camp & Advanced Kids Camp: If you cancel at least 1 week before the first day of camp, you will be offered a full refund.